Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Last Week...

Last week, I thought I would still be pregnant.
Last week, I thought I would be getting a much needed hair cut.
Last week, I thought I would be posting this picture whining about how I couldn't see my toes and how I used to have a waistline.

Last week, I thought, no I knew, I was having a boy!

Then, last week, my doctor told me it was time. Time to have our baby "either today or tomorrow at the latest." He or She had fallen below the 10%, 2-3% in fact, and I was pre eclamptic because of a condition called Intrauterine Growth Restriction. We had been doing ultrasounds every 2 to 4 weeks to track the baby's growth, hoping the baby wouldn't fall below the 10%. They started this at 32 weeks and the baby was in the 33% (down from 50%), then at 36 weeks, the 17%, and then obviously at 37 weeks down to the 2-3%. Dr Thompson didn't know if or how the baby had been effected, but that it was no longer safe for her to stay in. He or She was safer outside than inside. What? I still had things to do with Jack before the baby came. Um I still had the room to do! And the worst part, she would have to do a C-section again because they can't safely induce a VBAC. Saddened, excited, and scared all at the same time, we went home to do a crash course in getting ready for baby!

Then, last week, Nonnie and Pop arrived just in time for us to take this picture and for us to get to the hospital.

Then, last week, we had a baby girl much to our surprise! I even asked Nathan to double check after Dr Thompson said it was a girl (she can be a jokester and I just didn't believe her)...are you sure? Yep pretty sure! I still can't believe she is a she!

At 12:30 pm weighing in at a whopping 5lbs 4oz and 18 3/4 inches, little Katelynn Mae arrived. She is just as healthy as can be, just tiny and it looks like there were no effects of the IUGR other than her size.


She looks just like Jack did when he was born, just a smaller version with more hair.





Jack wasn't too fond of Katelynn when she first arrived. When he came into the room for the first time, we asked him if he wanted to see his baby sister and he shook his head no. But he has since warmed up. He will point out her toes and eyes etc when you ask him.


Jack loves to watch me change her diaper and dress her. And if he is feeling extra kind, he might even give her a kiss like this picture.
Our going home picture.
Jack was making a few phone calls before we left the hospital.
Little bit in her big car seat. She is so pathetic in it...only makes the weight limit by 3 oz!
And now for the real star, our sweet baby Katelynn....


Katelynn is doing so well. She is nursing really well. Today it is every 2 hours on the dot, so hopefully she is gaining weight fast! We have to go in for weekly weight checks to make sure she is gaining and for the doctor to keep an eye on her progress. She is sleeping much better than Jack ever did at this age which is so fantastic I can't really describe it. Katelynn has already developed the dreaded reflux just like Jack! Ugh! Jack is really doing great with her, no animosity or jealousy yet.

I have many more pictures on a camera somewhere buried under piles of diapers. Some day some how they will make it to the blog! Two under two is a bit of a challenge and doesn't leave me time, or energy for that matter, to blog. But we do have some really cute pictures of her first bath and with our Aggie rings to show just how tiny she is. I have high goals of posting this weekend. Here's hoping! Oh, and any thoughts on what I should do with the name of the blog...I would love to work in Adventures in Kateland....but not sure how I am going to work that. It might just end up with a generic name...boo :(

4 comments:

Christine said...

She's just beautiful Lisa. Her face does look a lot like Jack's. Good thing because he is so stinkin cute you can't go wrong. I am so impressed with you for getting pictures up on the blog. You are such a fantastic mommy!

Haley said...

So gorgeous! If you need Auntie-Nanny-Haley-Poppins to ride up there under my umbrella just give a shout:). Lord, that would be a mess.

Unknown said...

Thank you for the pictures. It's great to see all of you doing so well. And I'm so excited we're having girls just a few months apart, even if we don't get to see you too often! Can't wait to meet her one of these days.

Travis and Andrea said...

She is so cute. What a great post. Can't wait to see more of her. Oh, I love the picture of Jack on the phone. He is too cute too. :)